Across the Universe
“A horrifying and deliciously claustrophobic masterpiece that’s part sci-fi, part dystopian, and entirely brilliant.”
Kiersten White, New York Times bestselling author of Paranormalcy
Hardcover, 400 pages
Published January 11th 2011 by Razorbill
ISBN 1595143971 (ISBN13: 9781595143976)
Audio Book also available:
Audio CD, 8 pages
ISBN 014242899X (ISBN13: 9780142428993)
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awake on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into a brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone—one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship—tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn’t do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed’s hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there’s only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
What People Are Saying
“Wherever the series goes from here, this opener leaves an indelible imprint.”
–Starred review in Kirkus Reviews, December 1, 2010.
“Cunningly executed thriller…a compulsively readable crowd-pleaser.”
“…a believable romance and a series of tantalizing mysteries that will hold readers’ attention.”
“Who Should Read This: Well, sci-fi and mystery fans will love it, but so will any girl or boy who’s ever sat in a room full of quiet conformists and wanted to scream at them all, ‘Wake up!’”
“A stunning debut. Beth Revis explores what a society isolated deep in space is willing to sacrifice in order to survive, and the result is both thought-provoking and chilling. Entirely original, deeply compelling, and totally unputdownable–I’ve found a new favorite!”
–Carrie Ryan, New York Times bestselling author of The Forest of Hands and Teeth
“An astounding ride! Beth Revis erases genre boundaries with a murder mystery, a budding romance, and a dystopian world gracefully integrated into a sci-fi novel that blow away all expectations.”
–Melissa Marr, New York Times bestselling author of Wicked Lovely
Awards & Accolades
- New Yorks Times Bestseller list! Across the Universe debuted at #7!
- Indie Bestseller list! Across the Universe debuted at #15!
- Selected as an Amazon Book of the Month: January 2011
- Featured on the Indie Next List: January 2011
- Featured as a GoodReads Mover & Shaker
- Recipient of the Romantic Times Seal of Excellence
- Long-listed for the prestigious Carnegie Medal (UK)
- Nominated for Book of the Year from Romantic Times
- Winner of the 2011 YA Paranormal/Futuristic Novel of the Year award from Romantic Times
- Selected as a Texas Libraries (TAYSHAS) reading list
- YALSA Reader’s Choice nomination
- Selected by teens for the YALSA Teen’s Top Ten Award of 2012
- Nominated for the 2014 Oklahoma Sequoyah Award
- Top Ten Bestselling Novel at Malaprops Bookstore for YA Fiction
- Featured in a “Best of” list of emerging YA SF at Bookish
- Featured Review of the Entire Series at the National Space Society. As the reviewer stated of the series: “As we look forward to sending our first pioneers out to settle the solar system, these are important issues to be addressed and discussed, especially by the young adults who will be responsible for making these decisions in the future.”
- Nominated for the 2014 Abraham Lincoln Illinois High School Book Award