Beth Revis is a NY Times bestselling author with books available in more than 20 languages. Her next title, Give the Dark my Love, is a dark fantasy about love and death. It will be available this fall. Beth’s other books include the bestselling science fiction trilogy, Across the Universe, and a novel in the Star Wars universe entitled Rebel Rising. She’s the author of two additional novels, numerous short stories,and the nonfiction Paper Hearts series, which aids aspiring writers. A native of North Carolina, Beth is currently working on a new novel for teens. She lives in rural NC with her boys: one husband, one son, and two massive dogs.
Ten Things About Beth:
1. Beth’s favorite TV show is Firefly, followed closely by Doctor Who.
2. The proper ranking of the Star Wars movies is as follows: RO, RotJ, ESB, TLJ, ANH, TFA, RotS, AotC, TPM.
3. She names her pets after her favorite characters. Her current dog is named Sirius, after Sirius Black, Harry Potter’s godfather.
4. Her favorite color is gray. Boring, but unique.
5. Beth is currently in a race with her mother to visit the most states and countries. Her mother has all 50 states and Beth only has 42, but Beth has 13 countries and her mother only has 12.
6. Beth worked as a teacher before she became a writer. She often kills off former students in her novels–at their request.
7. Beth pretends to know more French than she actually does.
8. Beth wrote ten novels before the eleventh novel she wrote sold. That novel was Across the Universe. It took her a decade and more than a thousand agent rejections before she had any success in publishing.
9. Sailor Moon is the best manga ever, and Beth will fight you over that. (Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, and Trigun are pretty cool, too.)
10. Coffee > tea; Earl Grey > any other tea.
Still not enough stuff about Beth? You can read a longer bio here, but it’s pretty boring.
Find out more about Beth and her books by downloading her press kit.
Beth is represented by Merrilee Heifetz at Writers House.
Beth Revis is the New York Times, Publisher’s Weekly, and IndieBound bestselling author. She debuted with the Across the Universe series(Razorbill/Penguin ). The books are currently available in more than 20 languages.
Since that time, Beth has published a total of six novels and a trilogy of nonfiction, as well as been featured in dozens of anthologies, journals, newspapers, and literary magazines. Her works are on numerous state reading lists, have been selected as a YALSA top ten read for teens, have been awarded the RT seal of excellence, have been long-listed for the Carnegie Medal, and have received starred reviews from Kirkus, Publisher’s Weekly, Voya, Booklist, and more.
Hailed by Booklist for making “straight-up sci-fi cool again,” Beth saw a dream come true when offered the opportunity to write for her beloved Star Wars. The novel Rebel Rising features Jyn Erso from the movie Rogue One in a whole new story exploring her past. Additionally, Beth’s written in the comic book world, with an adventure from Padmé and Ahsoka.
Heavily inspired by the twisty stories in the tradition of Philip K. Dick, The Twilight Zone, and, more recently, Black Mirror, Beth’s novels The Body Electric and A World Without You take unique twists on common themes, twisting what the reader thinks could be real or not.
A former teacher, Beth enjoys sharing her love of writing with others. She works with fellow author Cristin Terrill at Wordsmith Workshop Retreats, providing series of classes and critiques for aspiring authors. Additionally, Beth offers writing workshops to writers of all ages, from middle school to adult. She wrote the Paper Hearts series as a way of sharing what she’d learned. The most recent book in the series, the Paper Hearts Workbook, is a hands-on journal-style book for authors to develop their stories on the page.
Beth lives in rural North Carolina with her husband, son, and dogs. Her forthcoming novel, Give the Dark my Love will be published this fall from Penguin/Razorbill. It’s her first fantasy novel.