Beth Revis is a NY Times bestselling author with books available in more than 20 languages. Her latest title, A World Without You, is a semi-autobiographical story blending the supernatural with mental illness. Beth is also the author of the Across the Universe series, The Body Electric, numerous short stories, and the nonfiction Paper Hearts series, which aids aspiring writers. A native of North Carolina, Beth is currently working on a new novel for teens. She lives in rural NC with her boys: one husband, one son, and two massive dogs.
Ten Things About Beth:
1. Beth’s favorite TV show is Firefly, followed closely by Doctor Who.
2. She names her pets after her favorite characters. Her current dog is named Sirius, after Sirius Black, Harry Potter’s godfather.
3. Her favorite color is gray. Boring, but unique.
4. Beth is currently in a race with her mother to visit the most states and countries. Her mother has all 50 states and Beth only has 42, but Beth has 13 countries and her mother only has 12.
5. Beth worked as a teacher before she became a writer. She often kills off former students in her novels–at their request.
6. Beth pretends to know more French than she actually does.
7. Beth wrote ten novels before the eleventh novel she wrote sold. That novel was Across the Universe. It took her a decade and more than a thousand agent rejections before she had any success in publishing.
8. As a kid, Beth saw the movie Child’s Play much too young. She still hates puppets and creepy dolls.
9. Sailor Moon is the best manga ever, and Beth will fight you over that. (Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, and Trigun are pretty cool, too.)
10. Still not enough stuff about Beth? You can read a longer bio here, but it’s pretty boring.
Beth Revis is the New York Times, Publisher’s Weekly, and IndieBound bestselling author of the Across the Universe series(Razorbill/Penguin ), as well as several in-world short stories published in various anthologies. The books are currently available in more than 20 languages.
The Across the Universe books blend mystery with science fiction as they follow the voyage of a generation spaceship to a new world fraught with danger. The first book in the trilogy, Across the Universe, is a “cunningly executed thriller” according to Booklist, and the second book, A Million Suns, was hailed by the LA Times as “a fast-paced, action-packed follow-up.” Shades of Earth, the final volume, was called a “tense and delicious ride” by The Examiner.
Across the Universe was selected as a YALSA Teen Top Ten novel, recipient of the Seal of Excellence and the Futuristic Novel of the Year Award from Romantic Times, long-listed for the Carnegie Medal, and featured on several state reading lists. The second book in the trilogy was selected as a Kirkus Best of 2012 novel and a Best Book of 2012 from Wired Magazine, and the third book was featured as a Book of the Month from Seventeen Magazine and an Indigo Must-Read Novel.
A former teacher, Beth lives in rural North Carolina with her husband and dog. Currently, she is working on a new science fiction trilogy title for self publication and two forthcoming novels for Penguin/Razorbill.
Beth is represented by Merrilee Heifetz at Writers House.